Thursday, October 12, 2006

Anyone For a Roadtrip?


Last summer with a weekend to burn and an author to hunt down, a group of 10 diehard Modestans filled an Explorer and a pickup truck bound for Portland. Not only did our driver provide mission bags filled with a disposable camera, disquises, candy, games, a notebook and other goodies but our co-pilot printed out an 8 by 10 picture of Donald Miller's face.
Yes, Blue Like Jazz made that much of an impression on us...plus Portland is a great city! (I've never felt more like a stalker in my life!) We wrote on the window in large letters "HAVE YOU SEEN DON MILLER?" We visited several sites mentioned in his book including the roundabout with the Joan of Arc statue. One thing I didn't prepare for was what to say if we actually found him..."Uh, yeah, we were in the neighborhood... by the way, we really like your book." Riiiiiiight!
Sunday morning the pressure was on! We had to get back to work Monday and we hadn't yet found him. We went to his church, Imago Dei, and there he was! His publicist had mentioned our coming up so he wasn't too shocked to see us. He signed our books and chatted for a few minutes. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

3 Comments:

At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that him in the picture? Quite a large lad huh! I love his books too! Wanna come back to Aus and do another road trip with me! I miss you! I met a girl at a wedding on Thursday that reminded me so much of you. When she was dancing, she was pulling faces at the video camera!
Hey Christina Levisen is coming round in 3min time! Did you know she and her hubby, Carsten, have been studying in Melbourne this year? It's been ace, although haven't seen her as much as I would've like! Keep bloggin away!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Beth Anne said...

He's definately a substantial man!! I was impressed by his kindness and warmth with us; at the same time, behind his accepting eyes he could have been wondering if we were insane to come that far to meet him!
I remember you mentioning Christina and Carsten were coming there to study! So FUN! Tell her SUPPLIES for me! (haha)
I'd love to come back to Aus for a visit. You want to go to New Zealnd?!?

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NZ here we come! Just tell me when! You could come out for Shells wedding then we can go on our very own honeymoon that's not really a honeymoon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones